Plaquemines Parish looks to change coastal plan
By Amy Wold, The Advocate. Aug. 20, 2014.
“The barrier islands protect the marsh, and the marsh protects the levee. It’s that simple…” (read more)
Wetlands Youth Summit will be held this weekend
By The Houma Courier. Aug. 19, 2014.
“The South Louisiana Wetlands Discovery Center…"
Are the Gulf Coast wetlands drying up?
By Casey Toner, AL.com. Aug. 18, 2014.
“The Gulf Coast wetlands have not fared well going on two decades…” (read more)
The Lens, with sponsorship from the Mississippi River Delta Restoration Coalition, is hosting a panel discussion on the financing of Louisiana's $50-billion Coastal Master Plan at Loyola University this Wednesday, Aug. 20 from 6 to 8 p.m.
This event is designed to send the audience home with a solid understanding of how to restore our coast. An example of questions The Lens plans to address include the following:
- How far can we go on the current master plan with the funding in place as well as future funding the state believes it can count on?
- What will happen to the scope of the master plan, and the coast, if we don’t secure funding sources beyond that date?
- What are the chances Congress will step up in the next decade and provide substantial funding?
- What are alternative sources of money?
- What can you do to help with this challenge?
- Mark Davis, Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law and Policy
- John Driscoll, Corporate Planning Resources
- Kyle Graham, Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority
- Douglas J. Meffert, Audubon Louisiana/National Audubon Society
- Steve Murchie, Gulf Restoration Network
- John Snell, WVUE/Fox 8 Moderator
- Courtney Taylor, Environmental Defense Fund
- Wednesday, Aug. 20
- 6 to 8 p.m.
Where: Loyola University, Miller Hall 114
Questions: amueller@TheLensNola.org or (504) 258-1624
Light refreshments will be served.
Researchers study extent of feral hog damage in Louisiana
By Courtney Collins, KNOE (Baton Rouge, La.). Aug. 15, 2014.
“LSU AgCenter researchers are in the process of conducting two surveys…” (read more)
Coastal Rundown: Dr. John Lopez, Mr. Charlie And New Orleans To Venice
By Laine Kaplan-Levenson, WWNO. Aug. 14, 2014.
“Dr. Lopez is a coastal scientist and the Director of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation’s…” (read more)
$800M pledged for Gulf Coast restoration fund
By Lance Traweek, American Press. Aug. 14, 2014.
“The Department of Treasury has completed…"