Position: Communications Coordinator, Mississippi River Delta Restoration Campaign
Job Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Type: Regular, Full-Time
Job Category: Communications/Marketing
Now in its second century, the National Audubon Society is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 22 state offices, 44 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 46 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The Communications Coordinator for the Mississippi River Delta Restoration Campaign will play a key role in building nationwide awareness and support for restoration of the Mississippi River Delta on behalf of Audubon, Environmental Defense Fund, and the National Wildlife Federation. The coordinator will work closely with other staff members to create and produce content for web and print, conduct media outreach, and distribute key information to campaign staff. While the coordinator will work under the National Audubon Society, subject to all its human resource policies and benefits, s/he will have a primary reporting role to the joint campaign’s communications committee.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communications work plans supporting Mississippi River Delta restoration goals.
- Manage committee functions, including weekly agendas, meeting arrangements and project tracking.
- Create and execute a wide range of communications tactics, including print, web and electronic communications; print collateral; media outreach; public opinion research; and social media.
- Manage content on campaign website and blog, working with science, policy, and other campaign staff to create, compile, edit, post, organize, and update multimedia resources on the site.
- Monitor the media, web news sources, and social media for news stories and features relating to the campaign, compiling news clippings to inform campaign staff, building reports of campaign coverage, and identifying opportunities for media outreach and communications strategies.
- Oversee media tracking and measurement aspects of communications plans.
- Assist other communications staff with preparing materials for the press and with outreach and pitching to reporters, editors, and producers.
- Facilitate the timely coordination of communications among key collaborative partners and help track progress toward key deliverables under the work plan, including tracking and coordinating budget expenditures with senior communications staff.
- Assist with planning and coordinating media and community events.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field required.
- 2+ years experience in project and/or coalition coordination/management and 2+ year experience public relations, journalism or other communications and marketing fields with a demonstrated record of success.
- Demonstrated time-management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Experience in planning and executing traditional and web-based communications campaigns and other electronic communications products; experience with environmental campaigns and with social media preferred.
- Exceptional writing, reporting and editing skills. Must write quickly and well under pressure.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information clearly to many audiences in writing, one-on-one, and in formal presentations.
- Ability to work under minimal direct supervision; self-starter.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience in operating still cameras, video cameras, and sound-recording devices required. Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, social media platforms, and PR software strongly preferred.
- Must be willing to travel, as well as commit to some evening and weekend work as needed.
- Valid driver’s license required.