With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund is partnered with two other leading national environmental groups and a number of local Louisiana groups in a bold initiative to restore the Mississippi River Delta (MRD) system. This multi-faceted program deals with many challenges associated with restoring coastal wetlands on a working coast and aims to restore natural system processes to create sustainable communities with improved infrastructure and robust economies. A key part of the MRD work is advancing new thinking in the restoration and resilience of coastal Louisiana by finding answers to key science and engineering challenges.
The intern will have the opportunity to learn about the complexities of restoring the Gulf Coast region through the Mississippi River Delta Restoration Campaign. The Campaign works with prominent state and national environmental organizations, which will provide opportunities for the intern to connect across multiple organizations and platforms. This position is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience and insight in nonprofit, campaign-driven public relations work. You will work side-by-side with top members of EDF's Mississippi River Delta Restoration team in a fast-paced work environment that requires quick learning and accountability for results. By the completion of the internship, you will have gained an understanding of coastal restoration issues, nonprofit communication systems and strategies, and the mechanics of writing and advocacy to diverse audiences.
Communications Manager, Mississippi River Delta Restoration (MRDR)
- Supports EDF's work on the Coalition’s Communication committee; conducts research and manages information to support implementation of EDF MRDR communication and media strategies; supports social media (e.g., Delta Dispatches blog, Twitter, and Facebook) activities, EDF MRDR web presence, and traditional media outreach mechanisms.
- Participate in coalition strategy discussions and follow up.
- Follow MRDR-related blogs, craft responses to create online dialogue, enhance connections between others’ blogs and MRDR/Coalition’s blog and website, and help promote MRDR and Coalition websites and social media accounts.
- Manage coalition’s Twitter account, including sharing campaign news, interacting with followers, and helping expand and diversity follower base.
- Find related online video content for use on MRDR and/or Coalition web pages, seek permissions from author/owners for EDF use.
- Improve knowledge management capacity by contributing to photographic library for easy retrieval of specific subject matter.
- Build media lists.
- Conduct research on advertisement (stations, costs, etc.).
- Conduct research on effectiveness of advertisements, press, social media and other outreach.
- Minimum two years undergraduate educational training in strategic communications, marketing, advertising, print or broadcast journalism or communication majors or pursuing graduate degree in similar fields.
- Ability and comfort with fast-paced, time-sensitive assignments of short duration while simultaneously making progress on longer-term projects.
- Independent and highly organized and able to create systems for collecting, organizing and retrieving information.
- Proof of strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with social media such as development and management of material for websites, blogs, Twitter, Facebook.
- Adept with word processing programs.
- A demonstrated commitment to conservation or environmental issues is preferred but not required.
- Desirable Qualification: Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, SharePoint, and/or WordPress
- Desirable Qualification: Ability to edit and generate video for use by EDF and Coalition.
January through May 2014 (exact term and start date are negotiable and to be determined between EDF and intern)
Part-time (not to exceed 350 hours)
Dependent on number of hours, not to exceed $3,000
Please apply through the EDF website here: http://www.edf.org/jobs/communications-intern-mrd. Interested applicants should attach the names/contact info of references, transcripts, writing sample, resume and a cover letter to the EDF application. In your letter please describe your interests in environmental law and policy work and relevant completed course work. Applications are considered immediately and on a rolling basis.Environmental
Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer