Location: 6160 Perkins Rd., Suite 225, Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports To: Restoration Program Director and Executive Director
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) is a non-profit organization that has been working to restore and protect a sustainable coastal Louisiana for over 25 years. One way that CRCL accomplishes its mission is through its Restoration Program which works to restore coastal habitat by engaging and educating volunteers in a variety of wetland restoration projects. Since 2000, CRCL's Restoration Program has recruited over 9,000 volunteers to help restore 3,700 acres of coastal habitat.
CRCL is looking for a passionate, motivated, and organized individual to serve as the Volunteer Coordinator for Restoration Program. From dune restoration on the Cameron shoreline to marsh plantings in Terrebonne Parish to cypress forest restoration on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, CRCL's Restoration Program partners with local, state, and federal agencies, landowners, corporations, and other organizations to utilize volunteer labor for on-the-ground restoration projects across the coast.
The Volunteer Coordinator will recruit and lead volunteers on multiple on-going volunteer-based coastal restoration projects, identify project sites, coordinate with project partners, and assist with program promotion. The Volunteer Coordinator must be an innovative and outgoing team player able to work with numerous partners, federal and state agencies and volunteers.
Summary of Duties
- Under the direct supervision of the Restoration Program Director, plan, manage and coordinate 15-20 volunteer restoration project days each year.
- The position will be responsible for recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteers at the restoration site, and will also be responsible for acknowledging and recognizing volunteer contributions following the event.
- Develop volunteer recruitment, training, and management protocol to help CRCL systematically recruit and increase the base of active volunteers.
- Help maintain the CRCL volunteer database and Facebook page.
- Record and manage project data (number of plants, length of fence installed, acres restored) including preparation and presentation of information for CRCL outreach purposes.
- Participate in CRCL outreach events.
- Minimum of bachelor's degree, preferably in an ecological field, environmental science, natural resource management or related field; or can demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully execute the position.
- General knowledge of estuarine ecology and Louisiana's coastal land loss issues.
- Must be outgoing and possess leadership skills.
- The ability to work on several projects simultaneously with little supervision.
- Able to work evenings and weekends – some weekend travel is required.
- Fluent in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and at least a working knowledge of photo-editing software.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills.
- Well organized with a strong attention to detail and timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly grasp new concepts, approaches and systems.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills; able to convey technical information in common language.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking.
- Comfort (and preferably experience) with field work in coastal environments.
- Must be able to walk through marsh ecosystems while carrying up to 30 pounds.
- Valid driver's license, safe driving record, and reliable transportation.
- Ability to operate a towing vehicle, boat, 4-wheeler and/or other field equipment is a plus.
- This position is a full time position with funding for one year. Continuation of the position is important to CRCL and will be contingent on the availability of additional funds.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications.
- Health insurance and retirement benefits.
- Paid holiday and sick leave (following a required 3-month trial period).
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to:
6160 Perkins Road, Suite 225
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
No phone calls please