With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund is partnered with two other leading national environmental groups and a number of local Louisiana groups in a bold initiative to restore the Mississippi River Delta system.
As a member of the Mississippi River Delta Restoration science committee, the Restoration Project Analyst will provide timely support to coalition efforts to identify, evaluate, and prioritize environmental restoration projects, particularly those funded by the Natural Resource Damage Assessment process or the RESTORE Act Restoration Trust Fund. They will develop and implement systems for communicating and integrating findings and results to EDF and other coalition committees. The Analyst will assist the S&E Projects Director by supporting science and engineering efforts of a coalition of non-governmental organizations (NGO) to develop solutions that address both environmental and economic issues associated with restoration and resilience goals of the Mississippi River Delta.
This is a 2-year term position.
- Ensure timely relevant input to the Mississippi River Delta Restoration NGO-coalition to drive conception, design, evaluation, selection, and prioritization of restoration projects.
- Develop strategy for monitoring and tracking of implementation of restoration projects, and systemize advocating for integrating sound science into planning, construction and operation of restoration projects performed by federal, state, or local entities.
- Maintain frequent contact with governmental restoration project managers to monitor the status of restoration projects.
- Track the science work plan and Mississippi River Delta Restoration work plan science deliverables, and prepare documentation of status for internal and external progress reports.
- Research, analyze, and synthesize information on topics related to environmental restoration Assist with internal and external restoration science communications.
- Assist preparation of reports, communications materials, and position papers.
- Provide other technical and program management support to the Director, Science and Engineering Projects – Mississippi River Delta.
- Master’s degree in marine biology, oceanography, environmental studies, physical geography, engineering, or other relevant environmental field of study.
- A broad understanding of coastal and deltaic systems and knowledge of coastal Louisiana restoration efforts and projects. Strong analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills sufficient to communicate effectively with both the scientific and lay audiences on science and engineering issues.
- The ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- An ability to work both independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment requiring ability to juggle tasks to meet deadlines with rapidly changing business priorities.
- Skilled in use of standard business software such as MS Office Suite.
- Data analysis and visualization experience with MATLAB and ArcGIS highly valued.
- A demonstrated commitment to conservation or environmental issues is preferred but not required.
- Ability and willingness to travel as much as 50% of time to the Louisiana area.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
To apply, please click here.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employee